Thursday, February 13, 2014

Seduce me with a book!


On Sunday night I received a text message with a request from the school director. She asked me to substitute another teacher throughout Monday. Hmmm…, I thought, what should I prepare for the upcoming day? Mind you, I was to have classes with nearly all of the grades - from 2nd to 6th grade! 
However, it wasn’t long until I came up with a simple, but brilliant idea (forgive the lack of modesty). I decided to ask students to take out from their school bags books that they are currently reading for pleasure and to read them aloud to the class. I wasn’t, however, all that sure if this will work and if kids still enjoy the simple act of listening to a book…?
Now, after Monday is over, I can go ahead and say that literature still possess the power to seduce and that children really do receive pleasure from being read to (and that they do keep all sorts of good fiction in their school bags). Reading aloud is hypnotizing, soothing and enchanting - one can learn this from looking at the faces of children listening to literature. 
That Monday I also learned more about what type of literature is now popular among young people and what children really like to read. Below are photos of book lists we created in 3rd and 4th grades:
 MS

Books read by 4th graders

Books read by 3rd graders
 
Books read by 3rd graders

No comments:

Post a Comment